Sunday, September 20, 2015

Throwback: 8 December 2013: Activating Mount Woodson (W6/SC-187)

This morning I'm heading to the Shenandoah National Park to activate some summits there, but in the meantime, here's a post about some activations in December, 2013.

I was conducting a joint activation on Mount Woodson (W6/SC-187) with fellow SoCal SOTA activator Gary, K6YOA (ex-KK6GXD).  Meanwhile, Adam, KJ6HOT was activating El Cajon Mountain (W6/SC-115).  He shot this video while activating.

You can hear me about 50 seconds into the movie, and again at about 3:38 into the movie.  (I'm slightly embarrassed complaining about an A Index of 6 in the movie, but earlier in the day it was very low.  6 was a bit of a spike, although I've seen much higher A indices since then.  More on A and K Indices here.)



(Credit is due to Adam, KJ6HOT, for filming and editing the movie.  You can see more of his videos here.)

On my activation of Mount Woodson that day, I worked the following stations:


I remember it being a bit chilly, maybe in the 40s or low 50s Fahrenheit, and a bit breezy. There are two major routes to the top of that peak, the longer and gentler approach up the west side, or the very steep eastern service road to the summit on the east side.  Gary and I hiked up the east side.  Afterwards we went and had some beer and grub in Poway, California.  It was a pleasant activation.

No comments:

Post a Comment