This past Thursday I the new batteries arrived. WindCamp is the manufacturer. Total price: $80.00 + $12.99 shipping and handling. It turns out that the $12.99 of shipping and handling purchased a 2-day priority shipping via the US Postal Service. I would have been happy for a slower shipping option to save a bit on S&H.
The small box contained the new battery pack, a small wall charger, and a new battery bay door for the FT-817ND. There was also an invoice, but no instructions. I admit I was a bit miffed at that. At work on Friday, I sent an email to John about that issue. Within a couple of hours he replied, apologizing for the lack of instructions, which he said should have been included. He attached a PDF file which had a single page of instructions (this is also available at his website.)
|The HamSource WLB-817 Battery Kit|
First, I removed the W4RT batteries from the FT-817ND and dropped in the new battery set, being careful ensure that the wiring harness from the batteries will reach to the battery bay door (which contains a tiny circuit board.
|Dropping in the lithium ion battery pack.|
|The new battery pack (top) vs. the W4RT NiMH battery pack.|
|The new FT-817ND battery bay door. Chinglish: "Choose the specifically charger..."|
|Underside of the battery bay door contains a board which connects the switch and charging jack.|
|Connecting the wiring harnesses up.|
|Replacement battery bay door installed.|
|All finished. Radio is propped up with the Palm Radio Peg Leg kit.|
So, that's it. I'm reasonably happy with the installation. I have a business trip to SoCal and Arizon over the next couple of weeks. I'll try to knock out a SOTA activation or two out there. After the trip reports I'll let you know how the batteries held up.
|The batteries ship mostly charged. 11.3 volts indicated.|