Friday, December 27, 2019

2019 Update

Greetings, all.

It's been a while.

I've had some significant life changes in the last 18 months, and my amateur radio activity has really dropped off.  I'm basically not on the air right now, and haven't been.  I did make a few 6 meter contacts during the summer season, and that's about it.

That's not to say I haven't been making some minor changes to my equipment setup.  I have done that, actually.

Here's some equipment I've purchased recently:

  • Alinco DJ-G7T.  I purchased this to get a portable 1296 MHz FM capability for my portable shack, though it's also capable of 2 meters and 70cm operations.  I also like the fact that it has a full duplex capability, so there is an opportunity to use this radio for talking to FM OSCAR satellites.
  • Alinco DJ-G29T.  This radio has the same form factor as the DJ-G7T, but instead it covers 222 MHz and 902 MHz.  I've had a few 222 MHz SOTA contacts using my Yaesu VX-8DR HT, which is capable of operations on 222 MHz with a reduced power output.  I look forward to being able to make more contacts on 222 MHz and 902 MHz.
  • Another Yaesu FT-817ND.  I have one of these already, but I purchased another from KG6HQD some time ago.  This, plus a diplexer, and my Elk Antenna, will allow operation with more OSCAR satellites.  I also purchased a Chinese knock-off TCXO for this 817 for about $10.
  • Arrow Antenna 6 Meter Dipole.  I purchased this to have a better 6 meter antenna, mainly for portable operations.
As you can tell, I'm getting more and more in the VHF and UHF operations.  Or, at least I intend to.

We'll see what 2020 brings!  I'll very likely be moving here in about 6 months, either to another location in the Virginia/DC/Maryland area, or possibly elsewhere.  I look forward to more radio activity in the future!

73
Nate N0PCL

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nate,

    Saw your post on the SOTA reflector about your upcoming possible SOTA activations, and found your blog. We must be about the same age, as my original call sign was N0OCT. I only just recently changed it, finding out that vanity calls no longer have a processing fee.

    Good luck with your upcoming radio activities, from one QRP & Packers fan to another.

    73, Jim KK0U

    ReplyDelete